Sunday, February 19, 2012

Play That Funky Music White Boy

Have you ever wondered why relaxing outdoors, either at the beach or just out in the woods is so much better than relaxing at home in front of the tv? Don’t get me wrong I enjoy relaxing at home in front of the tv, just ask my wife, she’ll tell you so. But even my wife when I’ve taken her hunting finds she is able to get some serious relaxing time when she is outdoors.


After getting some big storms coming through the area last night and this morning the weather man said it was supposed to clear up so I called Johnson and asked if he wanted to try our luck in hog hunting. As we started walking Johnson said make sure your phone is on vibrate”. You never know We walked through the woods and could see evidence that a lot of rain had come through the area. A tank that is located in the woods that normally is bone dry, was filled to the top. We found some fresh hog tracks and followed them but we never found anything so we decided to sit up front where Shawn has had some luck knocking down some hogs. Johnson wanted to try his luck at some long distance shots but since I didn’t have the right gun to make some long distance shots we decided to keep it within 200 yards.


So we set up in the field about 200 yards from the spot we’ve been watching the hogs come out from and now started the waiting game. Nice and quiet out here on this nice cool day. The wind was out of the north, northwest at about 10 to 15 mph with gusts probably up to 20 mph and with no humidity in the air, it was cold. As we sat in the field looking around, the winter oats the rancher had planted was growing pr

etty good. It was about 4 to 5 inches tall and as the wind blew across the field you could see the blades waving back and forth with the wind, and it was hypnotically putting me to sleep. As I sat in my chair enjoying the breeze and the grass waving lullaby my eyelids started to get heavy, but that wouldn’t last long because off to my left ( where Johnson) was sitting I heard the all to familiar ringtone of “play that funky music white boy”. Really? That’s your ringtone? I looked over at him and he was frantically trying to get to his phone in his pocket while I laughed. After hanging up with his daughter (Frances) he looked at me and said “that’s her favorite tune, it reminds her of me”.

Somewhere around 1815 hours Johnson glanced over his left shoulder and saw 8 hogs sneaking up on our position. Johnson alerted me and I could se them moving pretty fast and I was in a bad position to shoot. They moved closer and the wind was moving from us to them and sure enough as soon as they got our scent they turned heading away from us starting to run. I told Johnson, I don’t have a shot, you shoot, and he fired hitting a white or tan pig as it turned to run. I could hear the whack, then see the bullet impact the back of the hog as it ran through the field. We searched the field but never found it, so does that count as a hit or a miss?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No meat to take home counts as a miss...the ringtone in the middle of a quite field..PRICELESS.

MT

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter