Saturday, October 06, 2007

Guess who is going home with me



Guess what sports fans? I bagged a turkey. That’s right I went out early this morning in hopes of taking a deer since it’s bow season right now, but that didn’t happen. As I sat there waiting for the opportunity to knock down a doe or buck they would not come in closer than what looked to be about 40 yards. I guess I’ll have to start practicing at 40 yards. I sat in my popup blind relaxing and somewhere around 11:10 some hens came strolling in. About 11 hens and there were a few that were a good size. So I got ready and watched the turkeys for about 20 minutes. There were 4 of them at the turkey feeder and they were hungry or should I say starving. The other 7 were walking around eating corn off the ground that the deer feeder had dispensed at 0700. As I sat and watched I had to stop from laughing at the sight of 4 turkeys with their head in the turkey feeder (which is pictured in an earlier post), and thinking how easy it would be to be sitting right above them in that big oak tree and shooting one with the bow. It would be an easy shot and there wouldn’t be any tracking since the arrow would pass thru them and stick them to the ground. Or better yet how some type of electronic guillotine set up inside the turkey feeder, where just pressing the button would slice their heads off at the same time. There would be no need for tracking, but as these thoughts went thru my mind I had my bow in hand and was ready for the first one to get in range so I could take that girl home since they were all hens.
Sure enough there she was heading right for me. I had placed a pile of corn about 15 yards out in front of my blind and she had seen it and was working her way to it. I raised my bow and aimed right behind her neck and as I pulled the trigger on the release, the arrow was on the way. The sound of the release must have startled her because she raised her head to look up and the arrow hit her right in the middle of her chest. The momentum of the arrow flipped her up in the air backwards and she landed on her chest and didn’t move. WOW, there will be no tracking on this bird I thought. As I looked at the other birds, I noticed the 4 at the feeder pulled their heads out and looked at the one I just shot and then turned back to the feeder and kept on eating. The other ones that were walking around and eating looked up and then went back to walking around and eating again. I told myself, THEY DIDN’t LEAVE!!!!! Hurry up and get another arrow ready, so I moved as quietly as possible pulling another arrow from the quiver which was on the ground in front of me. As I was getting ready I was also looking at the birds that were still eating. I didn’t want to make too much noise or move too much to startle them, but I did want to get ready in a hurry. I was ready and had my next girl picked out that was going home with me and as I looked thru the peep sight, I had her lined up with the pin, when all of a sudden the first one I hit started flopping around and took off towards the cedar trees. As I again pulled the trigger on the release the other turkeys reacted in the same way and ran with the one I just shot and my arrow hit nothing but rocks, dirt and trees. Who knows where it landed, since I was not able to find it when I looked for it later on. So I went looking for my bird and found it behind the cedar trees and as I approached it heads started popping up all over the place in the high grass. That’s when I told myself, “self, if you would have brought your bow you probably could have got another bird.” Oh well, you learn from your mistakes, at least I was able to get one.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one question about this blog. Where did you sit the Taco down at before taking the shot:)

Good blog dude.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Free Counter